[OT] Market Share

Bill Marriott wjm at wjm.org
Sun Jul 9 17:19:19 EDT 2006

It's possible you're right. But, I think this was the only way for them to
get a certain, very large, group of people to even consider the Apple
operating system. (There's essentially no Apple hardware anymore as we knew
it.)

The MacBook is the first Apple product I've considered purchasing in a very
long time. That's mainly because it's a decent Windows laptop for the price.

My first real PC was a Macintosh Plus. I've owned several Macs since then
and was a true fan. But, you can only take so many arbitrary decisions from
a company before you throw in the towel. Apple killed very many good
products -- the most egregious murder being HyperCard. Oh, how much did you
want to love it, hearing how the licensing requirement was that it be
distributed free with every Macintosh forever! Oh, but they weaseled out of
that somehow, didn't they?

It took Apple forever to move to commodity hardware. Oh, how many hundreds
of dollars did I spend on special monitors and special hard disks and
special keyboards and special mice. And what a lovely drawer full of ADB
cables and whatnot I have to show for it.

Apple employs business practices that, if used by Microsoft, would have
people crying "foul" and bringing anti-trust suits. Buying music from iTunes
means you're locked into iTunes and iPods forever. (If I buy a track from a
WMADRM vendor I have hundreds of devices to choose from.) So nice of Apple
to share the iTunes success by licensing the protocol with its loyal
developers. (Oh wait, they didn't!)

Apple is far behind in a number of technologies. Tablet/handwriting. Voice.
A few others mentioned in this thread. Their applications are not terribly
exciting, either. ClarisWorks/AppleWorks was a fantastic program in its day;
it basically destroyed Microsoft Works. Then they stopped doing anything
with it and now it's "end of life" with no adequate replacement. My
much-beloved FileMaker languished, neglected for at least 6 years before
they dusted it off and started making some real improvements to it the last
two years.

Poor Mac developers, indeed. They've suffered an abusive relationship for
years with Apple. Now, you wonder why the existence of Boot Camp is the only
reason why I'll consider an Apple again.

Richard Gaskin wrote...