Rev for Linux "Seal of Approval"

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Jul 6 15:02:55 EDT 2006

Bob Warren wrote:

> There are hundreds of Linux distros out there, all at different stages
> of development, and with slightly different characteristics -
> particularly in the details of the file system. In my view, such a
> situation is perfectly natural and normal, and it is just a question of
> time before commonly-agreed standards and greater uniformity arise.
>  From a programming point of view, the current situation is very
> intimidating, not only for Runtime Revolution, but also for anyone
> hoping to program in Rev for Linux generally rather than for a
> particular distro.

Not just for Rev folks, but really anyone interested in trying out Linux
but discovers that they first need several days' worth of education to
sort out *which* Linux they should go for.

This plethora of distros is the single most destructive force the Linux
community faces today.  Not even Microsoft's misinformation campaign
does as much damage to Linux adoption as the Linux community itself.

In spite of the good intentions of these distro vendors, they really
need to cut it out and pool their resources behind one or two of the
leading ones, letting the rest either fade away or become more clearly
identifiable as highly specialized variants not targeted at general
consumers.

I like the optimism you express at the end of that first paragaph above,
but having been made somewhat more cynical by watching each new distro
vendor pop up month after month with some misguided idea that theirs is
somehow necessary and more precious than any other, I have to wonder:
What can we as developers, users, and advocates do to hasten the demise
of most Linux distros?

Should we petition these vendors to stop polluting Linux mindspace with
unnecessary variation?

Is the Linux community mature enough yet to recognize the damage being
done by this fragmentation, or are they still stuck in yesteryear's "If
you don't understand Linux you don't deserve to use Linux"?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation