Dependence on Programming Experts

Viktoras Didziulis viktoras at ekoinf.net
Thu Jul 6 12:43:03 EDT 2006

Hi all!

That's a blog-like post on several related threads in this discussion. I
hope it still makes some sense :-)

Indeed, why can't we accept the fact, that there are no modern and outdated
programming tools, but there are different tools for different tasks, and as
well as everywhere - fashions, leaders and marginals. In real life one
requires Assembly to code a device, driver, or implement timely feedback in
life support system, nuclear reactor control system or drive a spacecraft.
Although some folks out there claim that Assembly (and whatever else comes
to their mind) is dead. However no single tool is ever enough for any
serious development. Like when you need to clean a room you would rather use
a vacuum cleaner, not a toothbrush. Or how do you like vacuum-cleaning your
tooth ;-)

Therefore many interpreted languages and tools like
Transcript/Metacard/Revolution, have been initially created as gluing
languages to minimize programming efforts and make a better use of resources
written in any of the compiled high performance languages. So now the
programmer can write just a tiny portion of code in low level, an then
switch to higher for the rest of it.

In my [1 cent worth if at all] opinion the strongest sides of the Revolution
RAD in comparison with tools like Perl, Python, Tcl/Tk, Ruby or Visual Basic
is not it's natural syntax, but multi-platform compatibility plus GUI
oriented approach. So we can start writing eye-candy apps easily what
increases motivation as results are visible at once. Regarding the syntax of
the Transcript I would think one can get used to any syntax if he needs the
job to get done. Once you learn it by doing, master it, syntax does not
matter anymore. For example Perl is the language I was used to, so in this
regard my work with transcript is slower until I get used to the new tool.
But at least I can create nice-looking GUIs in a matter of minutes :-).
There also are other people out there that are used to Assembly so much that
they created entire operating system with it (Menuet OS project). So what's
outdated ?..

Though you really really need to learn by doing - laymen's approach just
does not work at all. It only then becomes intuitive like many other things
like riding a bicycle, swimming, learning a foreign language or rapid typing
techniques. Innitially all these activities may seem counter-intuitive and
very unnatural. While in fact there is no such thing as
counter-intuitiveness but maybe just a lack of motivation...

Well, learning takes time. To master something new - the first foreign
language, the first programming language, starting own business for the
first time, as Japanese proverb says "one needs to sit 3 years on the rock
to get it warm". Then it may take as long as 10 years or infinity until one
starts creating masterpieces :-). But if one is already experienced in the
field by speaking a language or creating programs, then it takes just a
fraction of time to apply same principles over different "syntax".

Revolution studio is really one of the best programing environments I have
used taking into account that it is also multiplatform because it
1) operates on multiple OSes and is easy to code
2) allows easy creation of GUIs
3) can deploy multiplatform standalones within a single file

But, as everything, it also has its weak sides:
1) lack of a printed manual covering at least basics in all aspects of
Revolution and Transcript. Dan's book is really helpful to start with
(thanks Dan !), but then it ends in the middle of the story :-(. I would
rather expect manuals coming in 2 books - one, starter kit, in the style of
teach yourself in 24 hours" SAMS publishing series on programing and the
other very detailed reference like Oreily series of programming. This would
also attract many customers as coverage of these publishing houses is global
indeed - many books of theirs get translated into Russian and other major
languages. Currently many people do not know about Revolution just because
they haven't seen SAMS or Oreily book on it in their libraries.
2) delayed support for Linux...
3) some things like table field still need to be improved to act by default
(without external modules) as users would expect it from their experience in
spreadsheet programs. Like when you hit enter, cursor moves to the field
below, not a new line. Or when you press backspace it starts deleting
contents of all the cells to the left - this should be limited to a single
cell.
4) limited speed - normal for interpreted languages, but this has to be
compensated by convenient and flexible "gluing" features which I think are
quite good in Rev.

And finally what if Rev studio could become a RAD not just for Transcript,
but also for Perl, Python, Ruby, Tcl? I guess it would gain much larger
market share - just like Active State tools on steroids. This should not be
impossibly complex as GUIs for these languages are all based on Tk widgets
(Perl/Tk, Python/Tk, Ruby/Tk, Tcl/Tk), their interpreters as well as Tk are
free, and nearly all have possibility to pack an interpreter, script and
resources into a standalone program for all major OS'es. Or maybe there are
an ongoing initiatives towards this already ?..

All the best!
Viktoras