Rev for Linux "Seal of Approval"

Viktoras Didziulis viktoras at ekoinf.net
Thu Jul 6 14:47:34 EDT 2006

Hi Bob,

I personally have Ubuntu linux (Debian family) installed on my laptop PC and
PC as the second OS. Really happy with this. Earlier have tried Fedora Core,
but this one used to have some annoyances with laptops and multimedia. Then
switched to Scientific Linux, multimedia was OK, still the main annoyance
was corrupted RPM and updating system due to the bug in Red Hat family
Linuxes. They likely got fixed this now, but as I have already switched to
Ubuntu - not going back to Red Hat ;-).

Regarding the criterions I would suggest taking compliance with LSB 3.1
standard as the main criteria because that's what all the standard is for...
All serious Linuxes should implement this standard.

Linuxes that are closiest to the imlementation of the LSB 3.1 are: Xandros,
Red Hat, Novel, Ubuntu. Also Debian Common Core (DCC) Alliance - this means
all Linuxes based on the stable Debian 3.1 (Sarge) are aiming at LSB 3.1.
The DCC includes Knoppix, LinEx, Linspire, etc...

Viktoras