Dependence on Programming Experts

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Jul 6 12:27:22 EDT 2006

GregSmith wrote:

> I think multimedia authoring software should be intuitive enough, and well
> documented enough to allow a fairly non-technical user to do amazing things
> without constantly needing to ask assistance from local forum gurus.

If you keep looking you might find the multimedia authoring software
you're looking for.  But if you're looking for a programming environment
you'll get tired of running into the walls of such point-and-click tools
pretty quickly.

> I want to learn alone.

FWIW, I've not known anyone one who's learned any programming language
without some contact with others.  I'm sure it could be done, but less
easily.

Given the inherent imperfections of this planet you will at least
encounter anomalies, and others who've dealt with them before can share
solutions for those quickly.

And there are at least a million other reasons why sharing knowledge in
a community is worthwhile.

The second thing I do when I'm learning a new language (after reviewing
the token set) is signing on to the language's main mailing list.

While much of the task of programming may be solitary, I believe most of
the learning of programming is inherently a social activity.
Programming is such a big, flexible world, I've seen no book that could
come close to what a good community can do for one's learning, and there
seems something magical about programming that generally attracts
personalities who are prone to sharing.....

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal