Smart card reader

Sarah Reichelt sarah.reichelt at gmail.com
Sat Jul 1 20:27:21 EDT 2006

> I'm trrying to connect to a card reader to view the Belgian
> Electronic ID card. There is no wiewer for mac.
> So I'm trying to get a connection and read from the card in Revolution
>
> I've installed the driver for the reader and when I type in the
> terminal :
>
> /usr/local/bin/belpic-tool -a
> I get the message that I'm connected to the card reader but cannot
> read the card.
>
> Is there a way to connect to such a reader and view what's on the
> card from revolution ?

Hi Yves,

I have tried several times with various card readers to do this and
have not managed to do it on wither Mac or PC. Windows uses a protocol
called PCSC and supposedly, you can download Mac drivers for it. I
have done that, but as you say, never get more than the "you are
connected" message.

If you can work out how to do this, I would be really interested to
know how, but I don't hold out a lot of hope for success :-(

My solution was to get an electronics guru to make me a box that talks
to the smart card reader internally and allows me to read & write
through a serial port.

Cheers,
Sarah