auto searching technique

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Thu Jan 19 14:37:55 EST 2006

I know this has been discussed before, but I'm not having any luck in
the archives, and I can't reach Rev Online for some reason. :-(

Has anyone developed a handler for doing an active search for a line
in a combo box popup while typing in the combo box? So if my combo
box contains a list like this, in alphabetical order:

Apple
Banana
Cantelope
Grape
Kiwi
Orange
Peach
Pear
Pineapple
Plum
Raspberry
Strawberry
Watermelon

And I start typing "p", the list pops up with the first item
beginning with "p" hilited. Or more accurately, the first item
beginning with 'p' with everything after 'p' hilited. Then as I
continue to type "pi", Pineapple is (partially) highlighted. Sort of
like auto-complete in a web browser url field or my Mail program's
address field.

I know this can be done, but it's eluding me at the moment.

Devin

Devin Asay
Brigham Young University