Half-OT: I am not alone anymore (was Re: File/Picture Chooser Widgets available for Windows XP)

Bob Warren robertum at brturbo.com
Mon Jan 16 21:56:09 EST 2006

Hi Andre,

We've "met" by e-mail before, but it was a long time ago and perhaps you
don't remember because I was obliged to add a new e-mail service
provider for the Use-Revolution lists (robertum at brturbo.com). When
RunRev upgraded their server last July, it couldn't manage to send stuff
anymore to warren at howsoft.com. My previous communications were from
howsoft.com.

Thanks for the kind offer of a Mac for testing purposes. That'll be
great - when the time comes. As I said in the original thread, my main
purpose is to produce the widgets for Linux. I don't know much about the
Mac file system, but I imagine that once I have the Linux version in my
hands, the adaption to Mac will be relatively easy. The conversion to
Linux will  take more than a few days though. These widgets are FAR from
trivial, and it took me quite a few months to produce the Windows XP
versions. Bear in mind though that I had never written a real Revolution
app before. Now I've had a little practice in Rev, I just have to get
used to Linux!

The idea of a Brazilian Revolution User Group is an interesting idea,
but if you don't mind I would like to leave it an open question at this
very moment. There has been a lot of discussion on the Use-Revolution
list recently about alternative/complementary user groups/forums etc. I
didn't participate because I considered that few people seemed to
appreciate the important concept of "good enough". The Use-Rev list has
its drawbacks, but it also has some wonderful advantages. From a
Brazilian point of view, I think that it is good because it forces users
to try and communicate in English. That said though, it is easy for me
because English is my mother tongue. And, taking into account that there
may be quite a number of Brazilian RR users, we seem to be the only
Brazilians participating on the U-R list.... But part of my motivation
for not wanting to participate immediately in a Brazilian Revolution
User Group is the question of time. I am an old man who thinks and works
slowly, and at the moment I would prefer to serve Brazil by helping the
country move towards Linux and actually producing some fundamental
software for it.

I live in Florianopolis, Santa Catarina, which as you know is a little
island just off the coast. Have you ever been to Floripa? Who knows, one
year RR might decide to hold one of their meetings here, preferably near
one of the 40 odd beaches, but avoiding carnival time at the end of
February on account of the flow of alcohol and the sight of the tiny
bikinis which might be slightly distracting to the gringos!

Best regards,
Bob

P.S.
 >I don't have a windows machine so I didn't saw your stacks, if you
could point us to shots would be cool!

If you are talking about screen shots, I have not yet had time to
document the widgets properly at my site. However, very soon I hope to
correct this and to provide the necessary screenshots. I'll let you know
when it's ready.