Needed: A shortcut to help user install downloaded fonts

Kresten Bjerg Kresten.Bjerg at psy.ku.dk
Sun Jan 15 20:22:13 EST 2006

HI
After the long discussion on font installation in March,(3/3/05 - 30/3/05) and my  (unanswered) posting last week on the same topic, I got the following idea:
If a downloadable standalone / with an installer/ comes in a folder, in which  my fontsuite is included, couldnt  an answer dialogue be constructed, which - (when invoked by users clicking a button)  by itself, and without the users browsing, could locate the (WIN or MAC) OS fontfolder, and - on users accept -  simply move the included fontsuite to that folder. Its a onetime event, and the intricacies of  "using the 'ext.dll', installing the fonts as custom properties etc , which I cant understand, and which seems to involve cross platform intricacies, could perhaps be avoided.
Of course one could also instruct the user to "manually" copy the dowloaded  fontsuite
to the OS fontfolder, - but the standalone is meant for users who might not know what a font or a folder is.
I guess the handlers for doing this on windows and on macs  will be slightly different, - but can it be done on both systems ?- and ... frankly: can someone on the list help with the necessary commands in such answer dialogues.?
(That the user will have to restart before using is no problem).

Kresten

P:S  Will a separate script have to be prepared for linux standalones, or would the Win  version be sufficient there ?

www.psy.ku.dk/bjerg/diary.htm