Portable Apps..?

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Sat Jan 14 12:44:45 EST 2006

Richard, et al:

>I think we've seen in this thread enough evidence that IF you're
>using USB 2.0 and IF you have one of the most recent Flash drives,
>the speed difference is negligible.

Here are my results, timed by stopwatch & repeated twice, from the
second mouse click on the 91+ MB app to the first appearance on screen:

Platform--      TCP/Win XP USB 2.0              Apple Powerbook/Mac
OSX USB 1(?*)

Internal Drive--                10 sec                                  8 sec
Jump Drive (USB)        19 sec                                  1
min, 50 seconds
Firewire Ext. CD        38 sec
Internal CD                                                     1 min

* Apple system profiler rates the USB port at "up to 12MB/sec", yet
actual performance is worse than the internal CD (.83 MB/sec).

To me the key then becomes what per centage of users don't have USB
2.0...unless you have a song & dance ready to distract them for two
minutes.   :{`)

Rob Cozens CCW
Serendipity Software Company