Thread problem

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Wed Jan 4 13:59:03 EST 2006

Ken Ray wrote:

>On 1/4/06 7:02 AM, "Paul Claude" <paulclaude at postino.it> wrote:
>

>>>I'm not sure I understand your problem, but if you highlight the text  of
>>>the current thread it will place it in your response (as above), then you
>>>need to change the Subject text to match the thread subject.
>>>
>>>If this doesn't answer your question, try restating the question.
>>>
>>>James Z.
>>>

>>Your answer has open a new thread in the
>>http://mail.runrev.com/pipermail/use-revolution/2006-January/ (that I use in
>>Firefox to browse and post in the list). When I click on your name, I got
>>the same result, as my email client (entourage X) open a new message window
>>with the right thread title but open always a new thread on the list.
>>

>Is there any reason you don't just ask to receive the mailing list as emails
>to Entourage instead of using Firefox? I do this and have the emails
>filtered to go to a specific folder I've created in Entourage, and then set
>the view of the messages to group by conversation - which effectively gives
>me a threaded view of the emails. If you were able to do this, you can just
>reply to specific messages and they would stay in the same thread when seen
>through Firefox...

Ken is right - the simplest and easiest answer is to receive and reply
to the list via email. Do that and it will "just work".

It should work via browser, but doesn't, for two reasons.

How it should work (or at least tries to work):

When you view a message from the list in your browser, and then reply to
a message, this is done by a "mailto" URL in the html of the message.
For example, the html for viewing the message from Ken (the one this is
a reply to), shows

>   <H1>Thread problem</H1>
>    <B>Ken Ray</B>
>    <A HREF="mailto:use-revolution%40lists.runrev.com?Subject=Thread%20problem&In-Reply-To=BFE185E4.3442%25paulclaude%40postino.it"
>       TITLE="Thread problem">kray at sonsothunder.com
>       </A><BR>

So when you click on that URL, it invokes your mail client, passing in
the Subject and the In-Reply-To values. This *should* allow your mail
client to send the mail with the correct headers to get it properly on
the thread.

However, it fails for two reasons:

1. Many mail clients don't properly use the "In-Reply-To" value passed
as a parameter to the URL. This includes, surprisingly, Thunderbird -
and probably Entourage.

2. The mail list html is not passing the correct values. It is putting
the In-Reply-To value from the message being displayed; what it should
do is use the message-id of the message itself.  Thus, when I look at
Ken's message in my email, I see

so the HTML ought to have included

>    <A HREF="mailto:use-revolution%40lists.runrev.com?Subject=Thread%20problem&In-Reply-To=BFE12E08.330CD%kray at sonsothunder.com"

So even if you had a good mail client, it would on;y succeed with
messages which are already replies to a thread, not when replying to the
initial message in a thread.

supports it :-)
But I'll forward this to the Heather (once I've investigated a bit
further to see whether mailman can be set up to do it right ).