Detecting Design Time Status

graham samuel graham.samuel at wanadoo.fr
Tue Jan 3 04:16:54 EST 2006

On Tue, 3 Jan 2006 03:44:52 -0200, Andre Garzia <soapdog at mac.com> wrote:

> On Jan 3, 2006, at 2:39 AM, Scott Kane wrote:
>

>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I've noticed that some stacks continue running
>> when the application is put back into design
>> time in the inspector.  Is it possible to detect
>> design time in script in order to stop the stack
>> in question from running?
>>
>> Scott
>>

> Scott,
>
> There is a function called tool that will return the current tool,
> you use the "browse tool" to interact with your stacks and other
> tools to modify it, so by checking for the "browse tool" you'll be
> able to see if you should go on...
>
> script:
>
> if the tool is "browse tool" then bla bla bla

I understand this, but to me there is an underlying question in this
area, which is why when no special tool-detection code is inserted,
bits (scripts) of one's app continue to run under the IDE while other
bits stop as soon as one switches away from the browse tool. I have
been vaguely aware of this for some time but have never tracked it
down. Maybe it's scripts running from palette-style stacks that don't
stop? There must be rules governing this, but what are they?
Sometimes it seems to me that there's a ghost in the machine. In
general although not totally averse, I'm not keen to add IDE-
detection code to my stacks when it will never be of any use in the
final standalone.

Graham