Blend Level in Fields

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Tue Feb 21 18:37:16 EST 2006

Is there some trick for setting transparency in fields   ("blend")
such that the foreground color (the textcolor) is not affected by the
blend level? I tried all the ink options... nothing works.

One would think it obvious that the main use of this new feature
would be to blend the background behind the type, but not the type
itself ....but that's not the default behavior.. the blend level
affects the type as well, making it virtually unreadable if you set
the blend level to allow background image to show through.  i.e. nice
feature but virtually useless for most page layout, unless you
actually want super faint, transparent type which is a very rare
design decision....(almost always the wrong thing to do)

Of course the work around is (high nuisance factor...) make a blended
field and then put another field on top... but this doubles the
number of objects that require management and we could do that before
by putting a rectangle image object behind a tranparent field... and
setting the blend level of the image...

I'm hoping I missed something...

Sivakatirswami
Himalayan Academy Publications