URL link -- newbie time

Timothy Miller gandalf at doctorTimothyMiller.com
Tue Feb 21 16:44:18 EST 2006

Oh dear, this isn't supposed to be difficult. Maybe I'll get used to
the new documentation format. So far, it seems to have evolved from
"terse" to "overwhelming."

All I want to do is put a clickable link in a field that will open a
web browser and navigate to the URL specified in the link.

I.e., I might like to enter a link like
http://www.nigerianmillions.com in a field. There might be text in
the field, before and after the link. If I click on the link, I want
my web browser to open and go to that web page.

I can't quite figure out how. It will be obvious *after* someone
tells me. It never seems obvious *before* someone tells me.

I have several web browsers installed on my machine. Can I specify a
browser with the link? Like, "Use any browser that happens to be
open." or "If no browser is open, use Safari"? Otherwise, just "Use
Safari; launch it first if necessary"?

Thanks,

Tim