Parameters [WAS: Main menu puzzle]

Ken Apthorpe ken.apthorpe at optusnet.com.au
Mon Feb 20 20:02:22 EST 2006

I second what Mark says about these sorts of explanations, particularly the
"Assume nothing" and inclusion of (complete) example scripts for new users.

Thanks to the forum I now have a (partially) working menu, thanks to these
posts I understand parameters more clearly.  Transcript may be english-like,
but it's a different language and has to be learned, so we need plenty of
examples and analogies like the restaurant.  Here's another.

You are having a dream.  You are in a different country, and there's a group
of locals around you all talking to each other.  It's an english-like
language, you catch individual words but they string them together in a very
strange way.  You stand there gawking and trying to understand.  Suddenly
they all start jumping up and down and waving their arms around and
jabbering at you. Then they all start running away like crazy. You stand
there trying to figure out what they were saying.  It sounds something like

on alertStranger "mixmastabilongjeezuscrise!"
beep
put "wanpelasquashimallbuggerup!" into field "Stupid"
end alertStranger

What are they telling you?

Ken