Dock icon - data update

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Mon Feb 20 13:39:32 EST 2006

Karen wrote:

> On 20 Feb 2006, at 01:07, Jacqueline Landman Gay wrote:
>
>> Yes, you should be able to do it. Revolution has a global property
>> called the "icon" which, if set, specifies the icon that is  displayed in
>> the OS X dock. You could write a script that takes a snapshot of a  small
>> image containing the text you want to show, and then set the icon  to the
>> id of that image. If you do this repeatedly using a "send in <time>"
>> structure, the icon would update dynamically.
>

> Thanks very much for the answer Jacque.  I'm guessing that I would  also
> need to be able to combine the graphic of my existing icon with  the
> snapshot of the text that I wanted to show.  I'll need to try any
> figure out how to do that now - I've not done much with graphics in  Rev
> previously.

Right, you'll need to overlay the text onto an existing copy of your
icon. However, that text is going to be awfully small; I wonder how
useful it will be.

There used to be another problem as well -- the Finder did not update
the dock icon automatically. Even though you have changed it, the Finder
ignores the change  until the next time it updates its display. I
imagine there is some kind of shell command that can force Finder to
update -- or maybe that's changed in later versions of OS X. I haven't
tried the technique in a very long time, so a lot of my info is
theoretical only. You'll have to do some experiementing, I"m afraid.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com