Palette mystery

Graham Samuel livfoss at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Feb 19 16:38:26 EST 2006

On  Sun, 19 Feb 2006 00:25:07 -0800, Scott Rossi
<scott at tactilemedia.com> wrote:

>> You say that it's not impossible for a toplevel stack to appear above
>> a palette stack - can you give any more detail on this? I see nothing
>> in the RR docs.
>>

> There is nothing in the RR docs that I know of.  My intent was to
> imply that
> it's *extremely* unlikely that a palette can ever be rendered above a
> topLevel stack in the same app (there may be some bug going on but
> I've yet
> to see anything like this in years of working with Rev/MC).  I
> would suggest
> that whenever you experience what you perceive to be a topLevel stack
> displaying above a palette, immediate query the stack modes in the
> message
> box and see what the result is.  Something like:
>
>   put short name of stack 'A' && mode of stack 'A' && \
>     short name of stack 'B' && mode of stack 'B' && \
>     short name of stack 'C' && mode of stack 'C'
>
> My guess is you'll find the modes to be the same (1 or 2 =
> topLevel, 4 =
> palette).  If not, you may have discovered a bug.

Well, it looks like a bug to me: when actually looking at the screen
and seeing my main stack obscuring the two palettes, via the message
box I get:

main stack: mode = 1
palettes (both): mode = 4

Furthermore you can see the style of the decorations (top bar of the
window) is appropriate to the kind of stack it says it is - small for
the palettes, with no decorations and somewhat larger for the main
stack with the usual three mini-buttons. Also, I made a standalone
from the file and it behaved in exactly the same way.

So it is a bug. The problem is devising a simple recipe, since as I
said, my first attempt to reduce this to its essentials didn't
exhibit the problem.

No more time now, but if it's still around in a few days I will BZ it.

Thanks for replying

Graham