Palette mystery

Graham Samuel livfoss at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Feb 19 03:04:42 EST 2006

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 11:01:43 -0800, Scott Rossi
<scott at tactilemedia.com> wrote:

> Recently, Graham Samuel wrote:
>

>> I've got three stacks, let's say stack 'A' whose style is topLevel,
>> and stacks 'B' and 'C' whose style is palette. The global property
>> raisepalettes is true, but despite this, if I click on 'A', it moves
>> in front of 'B' and 'C'.
>>

> Something else is probably going on here.  It's unlikely (if not
> impossible)
> for a toplevel stack to appear above a palette stack (thus the
> reason for
> the existence of palette stacks).  Either you're somehow setting
> stack 'A'
> to palette mode, or you're changing the mode of 'B' and 'C' to
> topLevel.
>
> Are you changing the modes/styles of your stacks via script?

No, I certainly don't intend to - there would be no point in doing
this in my particular app, which has a very normal and stable
windowing structure. Palettes are used either for tools or for
displaying information which the user needs to see but is not allowed
to modify. However, the explanation is a compelling one, so I will
comb through my code again.

You say that it's not impossible for a toplevel stack to appear above
a palette stack - can you give any more detail on this? I see nothing
in the RR docs.

Thanks for the reply

Graham