Getting Started with a Database

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Thu Feb 16 23:02:32 EST 2006

On Feb 16, 2006, at 5:34 PM, Kay C Lan wrote:

> On 2/16/06, Trevor DeVore <lists at mangomultimedia.com> wrote:
>>
>> I recommend against using Valentina with revDB
>
> I take this to mean that you recommend using Valentina direct calls.
>
> Is this just because of speed issues, or are there bugs, gotchas or
> other
> complexities involved with using Rev calls to Valentina.
>
> (or is it just a shameless plug that you should use your excellent
> libDb to
> handle comms between Rev and Val;-)

A couple of reasons -

1) Valentina is a database engine that receives frequent updates.
The version of Valentina that was used in creating the RevDB driver
can become outdated very quickly.  By using the Valentina external
you can always keep your database engine current.  I'm not sure if
Rev compiled in the last released Valentina 1.x code or not
(Valentina is at 2.x).

2) You can't use encryption with RevDB.  Valentina supports
encryption of your data structure and/or data.  This handy feature
can't be used with RevDB.  At least not with any of the published
RevDB calls.

3) As far as I know, you can't access all of the handy Valentina
functions through RevDB such as setting the the debug level.  Not
being able to set the debug level is painful when tracking down
problems.  Perhaps there is a way to do this with a SQL call, but I
am not aware of how to do it.  Valentina has a very rich API for
interacting with the database.  Only the external gives you access to
this.

Those were the main reasons I decided to use the Valentina external
rather than the RevDB Valentina driver when I wrote libDatabase.  One
benefit is that I have been able to add support (though not fully
tested) for Valentina 2 without waiting for RevDB to be updated.

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Multimedia
trevor at mangomultimedia.com