UDP Broadcast Problem

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Thu Feb 16 15:00:32 EST 2006

Alex Tweedly wrote:

>> My packet sniffer (MacSniffer) shows no activity - i.e. it really
>> doesn't seem to be sending anything.
>>
>> If I change the address to anything other than 255.255.255.255 - say
>> 0.255.255.255 - something happens.
>>
>> Any idea why I can't send out the broadcast?
>>
> Firewall ?
> Unprivileged account ?
>
> I'm not much of a Mac user, so don't know what else to suggest ...

Another thought - 0.255.255.255 isn't a valid broadcast range (0 is not
allowed in the first byte of an IP address), so the fact that this does
something may in fact be misleading. I'd try using the default broadcast
address for your own IP address and see what that does.

That may in fact be enough to make things work in your situation, unless
you expect to have multiple IP subnets on the same network.