Installer design and backdrops

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Feb 16 14:54:03 EST 2006

I've grown weary of using third-party installers and I prefer to
automate all parts of my build process, so I'm working on a custom
installer system for my projects.

It seems that WiseInstall and InstallShield use a backdrop behind their
install window, but I like the way Rev's 2.7 installer doesn't presume
you have nothing better to do that watch the progress bar.

So here's the question:  Is the backdrop used by so many professional
installers really just a useless holdover, or is there some benefit to
having it that I'm not seeing?

If you were building your own installer would you use a backdrop?  If
so, why?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal