Contrib to old topics - why isn't Rev more popular?

Jeanne A. E. DeVoto revolution at jaedworks.com
Tue Feb 14 13:31:29 EST 2006

At 4:23 PM -0600 2/13/2006, J. Landman Gay wrote:
>Good points. The docs need to clearly describe the conventions that
>are being used when documenting the dictionary entries. As you point
>out, many of us are so used to these conventions that we don't even
>think about it any more. What you are seeing is pretty standard for
>xtalk documentation, but of course if you are a newcomer there is no
>way you'd know that.

There used to be an "About the Documentation" item on the docs start
page, which I think got dropped when the docs browser was changed -
much of it was no longer relevant, but it did contain the syntax
conventions:

"The Transcript Dictionary has some additional features:

* The icons near the top of the dictionary window for Mac OS, OS X,
Unix, and Windows indicate which platforms each Transcript term is
supported on.

* The syntax for each language term (other than keywords) is provided
in boldface typewriter text. The syntax description uses the standard
conventions to indicate parts of the syntax:

[]  Square brackets enclose optional portions.
{}  Curly braces enclose sets of alternatives from which you choose.
|	  Vertical bars separate different alternatives.

Italics indicate placeholders that you don't enter literally."

As far as I know, these syntax conventions still apply throughout the
dictionary.
jeanne a. e. devoto ~ revolution at jaedworks.com
http://www.jaedworks.com