Getting Started with a Database

David Burgun dburgun at dsl.pipex.com
Tue Feb 14 11:26:47 EST 2006

Hi Trevor,

Thanks for taking the time to reply on this.

On 13 Feb 2006, at 18:41, Trevor DeVore wrote:

> On Feb 13, 2006, at 5:52 AM, David Burgun wrote:
>
>> Haven't had much luck in getting this to work. I downloaded and
>> installed MySQL. I then downloaded libDatabase and sample stack
>> called libdb_recipes. When I run up the "recipes.rev" stack, I get
>> an error:
>>
>> "libdberr: unable to connect to database (Unknown database
>> 'recipes')".
>
> Hi David,
>
> It looks like you haven't created the recipes database in MySQL.
> Did you import the recipes.sql file into your MySQL database?

I am really not sure what I have to do. I downloaded
libDatabase_2.zip. This expanded into a folder called "libDatabase
2.0" which contains the following files and folders:

libDatabase.rev
Change Log.txt
docs folder
    bmm-code.css
    Getting Started.pdf
    libDatabase Handlers.html

I then downloaded:

recipes.rev
recipes.sql

and put them in the "libDatabase 2.0" folder. I then double-clicked
the "recipes.rev" file and got the message:

"libdberr: unable to connect to database (Unknown database 'recipes')".

I am not sure how to import recipes.sql into the MySQL database and
can't seem to find any information on how to do it anywhere.

I have now looked that three database solutions and none of them seem
to work and there seems to be very little "getting-started"
information supplied with them.

> Also, I highly recommend using version 2 of the libDatabase library
> (available from the same page as version 1).  Version 2 does not
> have an example stack but there is a getting started doc which
> describes the differences between version 1 and 2 along with code
> explaining the main functionality.

All I want is a simple database in order to build a prototype
application to take to a prospective client and try to convince them
to buy into the project.

I need to store and retrieve via the following fields:

Name | Type | Size | ImageFilePathName

I have a CD with around 200,000 objects on it that I want to enter
into the database.

I don't want to lay out a lot of money at this stage nor do I want to
have a massive learning curve to get it working. If I get the go
ahead on the project then the database will be extended, a run time
license purchased and I will of course be prepared to invest a lot of
time learning about it. But right now, time is of the essence and I
just want to get something up and running ASAP!

Thanks for all your help and sorry for not replying sooner, the list
was broken for me as far as sending was concerned.

All the Best
Dave