dreamcard player and memory

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Fri Feb 3 12:45:25 EST 2006

On 2/3/06 11:39 AM, "Rand Valentine" <jrvalent at wisc.edu> wrote:

>    Hello, dear Revolution experts. I've been developing a dictionary
> for my students of Ojibwe (an Algonquian language), using mainly my
> Mac PowerBook running the latest OS and DreamCard 2.61. Everything
> works just great for me, whether I run my stacks in DreamCard itself
> or with the Player, but I have one student who uses a fairly
> antiquated Windows computer, and who cannot open one of the substacks
> in my dictionary application (a set of about 100 cards with htmltext
> notes). He used to be able to open this substack, but no longer can
> -- I've been adding to it over the past month, but it would seem odd
> that anything I've added would push him over the threshold of
> openability. Is this likely a memory allocation issue on his
> computer, or could it possibly be something else? I was wondering too
> if the stack Revonline Viewer might be taking up memory, and if I
> could remove it from memory (does simply closing it do that?).
> Anyway, any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Rand, if you want a simpler method of distribution, you can check out
StackRunner:

  http://www.sonsothunder.com/devres/revolution/downloads/StackRunner.htm

It is a stripped-down version of DreamCard Player that doesn't include
RevOnline or any other "stuff", and has been adopted by a number of people
for stack distribution because it can be configured to automatically open a
stack when it launches and doesn't provide its own interface to "get in the
way".

Check it out...

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software