Speech problems in OS X

Sarah Reichelt sarah.reichelt at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 00:34:24 EST 2006

Hi All,

I am having an intermittant problem, but I am hoping someone can
suggest a workaround.

I have a standalone app, built with the speech library included. I
have checked that the revspeech.bundle is part of the app package.
When I start the app and try to set the voice, it doesn't always work.
Re-starting the app one or more times makes it work.

In the preOpenStack handler, I set up a call to the routine that sets
the voice in 2 seconds. If it fails, it gets tried again every 10
seconds for another 10 attempts, but I have never had it work after
one failure.

My initialisation routine first checks to see whether the speech
library has been loaded by checking the externalCommands of the
mainStack. If that finds the "revSpeak" command, it then proceeds to
use revSpeechVoices() to list all the available voices. This fails
with an "error in function handler" report.

When it fails, I try to unload the speech library but that fails too:
"can't find handler".

It sounds like a riddel: when is a loaded library not loaded?

Any ideas?

TIA,
Sarah

P.S. I don't know if it makes any difference, but the splash screen
for this app has been built using Rev 2.2.1. 2.5 & 2.6 both give
"unexpected quit" when run on some computers, but that's another story
:-(