issues that affect image rendering?

Phil Davis davis.phil at comcast.net
Fri Feb 3 00:05:34 EST 2006

Hi List,

Thanks in advance for your patience with this long, detailed post.

My currently non-SA app has an offscreen utility substack that it uses
to convert PICT files to JPG files. The substack has 1 card with 1 image
object. Its image object has lockLoc = true, alwaysBuffer = true, and
some other specifics I don't remember right now.

The conversion method is simple:

- set the image object filename to the path to a PICT file

- set the width & height of the image object to
   its own formatted width & height

- export snapshot from the rect of the image object
   to a file as JPEG

I'm converting 40-60 images at a time, but not back-to-back; between
converts, cards get created, custom props get set, etc. Still, there's
no idle time in the process. I get perfect results with a few images,
then something happens and I get strange results with the rest.

At a certain point the images start getting rendered at the size of the
utility stack (1024 x 620 in this case), then they fall back to a
smaller wrong size. The source images are each different sizes.

My source PICT images have various bitDepths: 8-bit, 16-bit, 32-bit. Has
anyone seen this factor cause problems in a case like mine?

Or is there something else I'm overlooking?

Thanks so much -
Phil Davis