Removing a stack from memory - is this a bug?

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Wed Dec 27 13:05:05 EST 2006

Joe Lewis Wilkins wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> This is my first time on this list. I was an HyperCard guru for many
> years, and you'll start seeing my new column on Macinstruct.com starting
> mid January about using Revolution for the first time.

Nice to see you here Joe. I remember you from the HC list.

> About this problem, I assume you have tried stop using stack
> "stackNameYouWantToDelete". I tried it out from the msg box with the
> "Documentation Library" and that seemed to work. Besides, I don't think
> you want to "delete" the stacks so much as stop using them.

In Revolution, "deleting" a main stack removes it from RAM (see the
docs.) However, deleting a substack removes it forever from the file. So
you have to be careful what you are deleting.

> The format for the Macinstruct column will be aimed mostly at neophyte
> Rev users and all HyperCard users. A new article will appear once each
> odd numbered week. The following week will be dedicated to responding to
> those readers who have "thoughts" about what was said the previous week;
> meaning that it will be a great help if you guys "stick your noses in
> and comment". Macinstruct.com, when it was "really going" had a large
> following six or seven years ago. It IS a predominantly Mac oriented
> site, but we will have articles and tutorials as they relate to using
> the new dual Macs as well. We are also always looking for new
> contributors as well. So, if you have some spare time, do volunteer your
> services. A great bunch of talented guys are already on board.

Excellent! It would be good if you are able to get someone to proof your
contributions before they go online, or else check with folks here on
the list if there is any doubt -- as you can see from the "delete"
command, there are a number of subtle differences between Rev and HC
that aren't immediately apparent but might bite you.

A tutorial for HC users converting to Revolution is here, if you haven't
seen it yet:

<http://www.hyperactivesw.com/mctutorial/rrtutorialtoc.html>

Again, welcome aboard, it's great to see you here.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com