Themes for MSWindows

Richmond Mathewson geradamas at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 20 13:56:27 EST 2006

I am aware that there are themes for Windows. I was
"forced" to do a lot of work with ToolBook (another
headache in its own right) and Macromedia Director
(which I enjoyed) on a Pentium 3 running Windows ME
about 6 years ago in the United Arab Emirates - and
coped with my rather irrational dislike of Windows by
using a theme that made it look like Mac OS 8.

However there are not a wide variety of Window
managers and many themes that work within those Window
managers.

There is only one 'Window manager' for each version of
MSWindows, and all themes made for MSWindows work with
that.

In fact the idea of an independent Window manager is
rather foreign to Windows - unless of course we want
to characterise the pre-XP Windows systems which
'floated' on top of DOS.

Mac OS X (which I use on 4 computers) also uses a
"one-size fits all" Window Manager for which there are
many themes (it 'floats' on top of a form of UNIX).
Frankly I am sick to death of it, but as I have
invested years of effort at learning a lot about the
OS, and buckets of money for the software I am TRAPPED
by it.

Of course Steve Jobs and Bill Gates love characters
like me, just like the neighbourhood pusher likes
heroin addicts!

What is nice about Linux is that everytime I do
cold-turkey I don't get the screaming heebee-jeebies -
my computer continues working with whichever Window
Manager is my choice of the moment (Erm . . . I have
17 Window managers installed on my Linux Workstation -
all the way from Blackbox (real minimalist stuff) to
Enlightenment 17 (think High Baroque)). Within those
themes I can customise to my heart's content.

NOW, themes for Runtime Revolution would be fun!

sincerely, Richmond Mathewson

"Its time to do Philosophy and stop worrying about what dead men said."
                                                                                           Mathewson 2006