Socket timeout interval

Sarah Reichelt sarah.reichelt at gmail.com
Sun Dec 17 18:35:45 EST 2006

On 12/18/06, J. Landman Gay <jacque at hyperactivesw.com> wrote:
> runrev260805 at m-r-d.de wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > i had a similar problem a few days ago. Changed it to 40 sec, as the
> > ftp server to which was connected was terribly slow at the login
> > process.
>
> That seems a little high for what I'm doing, since the user may want to
> download many files in sequence. But I'll experiment.
> >
> >> I'd like an interval that doesn't hang up the process too terribly
> >> long, but still waits long enough. Is there such a thing?
> >
> > why not including a preference settings for that in menu, so the
> > customer itself can change the default interval.
>
> That's a very good idea. Thanks for the suggestion.

What sort of connection does this person have? Rather than asking them
to enter a number which may mean nothing to them, if you ask them to
select their approximate connection speed from a popup menu, you can
adjust the timeout accordingly. You can also tell them to try altering
this, if they have problems at any time.

Sarah