Multi-standalone communication

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Sat Dec 9 20:03:05 EST 2006

On Dec 9, 2006, at 4:23 PM, J. Landman Gay wrote:

>> How does this work?
>
> It is just the built-in xtalk system for sending and receiving
> appleEvents between scriptable apps. Like I mentioned in another
> post, you use "send" to send an appleEvent to any scriptable app.
> If the app is a Rev standalone, an appleEvent handler is required
> in order for it to receive the instruction and act on it. If the
> receiver wants to return a response to the sending app, it uses the
> "reply" command to do so.
>
> The default behavior for "send" is to wait for a reply until the
> timeout period is over (I forget what that is, but if I remember
> right, it is pretty long; I think it used to be 2 minutes on OS 9.)
> If the sender doesn't want to wait, it can use "without waiting" to
> just fire off an appleEvent and continue on its way.

I was really confused, since the dictionary didn't say anything about
this.

Well, there is a separate entry in the dictionary under the name
"send to program" that is separate from "send".  Since the dictionary
no longer has the "next entry" capability it is hard to see things
like this when browsing.

So, anyway I found "sent to program" and the "See Also:" items.
Thanks!  (I'll probably forget and ask again in a few months.)

Dar