Multi-standalone communication

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sat Dec 9 18:23:10 EST 2006

Dar Scott wrote:

> On Dec 9, 2006, at 10:37 AM, J. Landman Gay wrote:
>
>>> Glad you found and explored an easy 'send' method.
>>> I did not know that you could simply 'send' between two standalones.
>>> Does this really work on both Mac and Windows? or just Mac?
>>
>> Just Mac. It's a HyperCard compatibility command, and sends an
>> appleEvent.
>
> This is starting to come back.  I had completely forgotten this.  No
> wonder I didn't understand Kay's comment.
>
> Actually, not much is coming back.
>
> <vaporware>I have been tinkering with a more general send.</vaporware>
>
> ...and I might be reinventing the wheel for OS X.
>
> How does this work?

It is just the built-in xtalk system for sending and receiving
appleEvents between scriptable apps. Like I mentioned in another post,
you use "send" to send an appleEvent to any scriptable app. If the app
is a Rev standalone, an appleEvent handler is required in order for it
to receive the instruction and act on it. If the receiver wants to
return a response to the sending app, it uses the "reply" command to do so.

The default behavior for "send" is to wait for a reply until the timeout
period is over (I forget what that is, but if I remember right, it is
pretty long; I think it used to be 2 minutes on OS 9.) If the sender
doesn't want to wait, it can use "without waiting" to just fire off an
appleEvent and continue on its way.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com