Fun Project: xTalk GUID Generator

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Fri Dec 1 11:37:52 EST 2006

On 12/1/06 2:41 AM, "Bill Marriott" <wjm at wjm.org> wrote:

>>> get shell("uuidgen")
>>
>> This works also with Windows XP (it's not in Win98)- but note that in OS
>> X,
>> the letters in the hexadecimals are uppercase, whereas in Windows they're
>> lowercase.
>
> I think you picked up this tool from installing Visual Studio; it's not
> included in the "stock" Windows XP, at least it does not seem available in
> my copy.

Ah - makes sense. I did some research, and it looks like the UUIDGEN tool is
part of the Microsoft Win32 SDK, which is part of the VS install. However it
seems to run on all platforms, and unless there is a licensing issue with
including it with your app to run, you can always dump it out to disk and
run it...

> Even if there were such a tool, I'd really like to see how this would be
> done in xTalk.

Me too... generating the hex codes is easy; I get lost in the "low
bit"/"high bit" stuff of the time stamp. Not sure what that means/how to get
it from our current "time" function...

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software, Inc.
Web site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/