Re-2: u3: where to store data?

runrev260805 at m-r-d.de runrev260805 at m-r-d.de
Wed Aug 30 02:38:57 EDT 2006

Hi,

it seems that the application just lives in the u3p file on the stick. After starting the app from launchpad it is copied to the
folder

c:\Documents and Settings\user\Application Data\U3\u3stickid\programid\Exec

Try it your self. Just rename the U3P file for any of the installed apps on the u3 stick and run it from launchpad. You will get an errormessage like this "An error has occurred whily trying to launch the selected program.
Renaming it back, will let you run it again. If you have startefd the application already on the stick, renaming won´t produce the error message, as the application was already copied to c:\documents... . In this case you have to eject and reconnect the stick, as this deletes the content of the U3 folder on C.

The app resides in c:\Docuemtns and Settings....  until the stick is removed by clicking the eject button in launchpad. Clicking eject runs a tool

c:\Documents and Settings\user\Application Data\U3\temp\cleanup.exe

, which removes the content of the U3 folder on C, except the temp folder.

So if you have an autoupdate function built in your app, why not adding the new app into the u3p file. It´s an zipcompressed format.

Regards,

Matthias