OT: City naming or The passing of Pluto

Andre Garzia soapdog at mac.com
Fri Aug 25 00:25:30 EDT 2006

Irgh at least in Brazil cities don't change name like this...

My city founded in 1573 was named Vila de São Lourenço dos Índios
(Village of Saint Laurence of the Indians) being a part of the piece
of land called Banda D'Além (which literally means land beyond). In
1819 the village was recognized by central goverment and it was then
called Vila Real da Praia Grande (Royal Village of Long Beach) then
in 1835 it was renamed Niterói which is the name it retains till
today, it's named after the indian word Nictheroy which means hidden
waters. If someone tried to change my city name to some TV Show he
would face a civil war or at least some eggs in the face and a go-
home-never-step-back-here attitude by the city crowd.

Some stuff in America really scary the bits out of me, at least in
England they do keep the city names, I think London is London since
forever (or some time later than the romans)...

PS: The japanese always scare me. not just some stuff. they. always.
scare. me.

PS: I have some nice web gallery on photos of my city case anyone
wonders what the other side of Rio de Janeiro looks like.