OT: The passing of Pluto

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Fri Aug 25 00:14:41 EDT 2006

On Aug 24, 2006, at 4:18 PM, Mark Wieder wrote:

> I wonder
> how long it will be before we get "AT&T Pluto" or "Halliburton Ceres".

Company names are always changing, too.  Here in the US, many large
corporations are being bought out by companies from overseas, a
consequence, in part, of the high government deficit in the US.  Name
changes with education campaigns follow.

Here in New Mexico supermarkets went through a soap opera frenzy of
buying, selling, merging, selling off, so that in a few months a few
years back almost all supermarkets I knew changed names and some
within a few blocks of each other ended up swapping names.  (For all
I know that happened nation wide or world wide.)  Here it was more
than a name change; I learned that district leadership and national
management really does make a difference.

> ...and there's a town in Japan that got renamed Toyota.

In New Mexico, over a half century ago, the town of Hot Springs New
Mexico (often spelled without the comma and always said with the
state name) changed its name to Truth or Consequences after the TV
show.  It never changed it back.

Dar