Displaying Windows-1252 encoded URL in field

Martin Baxter mb.ur at harbourhosting.co.uk
Wed Aug 23 13:50:32 EDT 2006

Dar Scott wrote:

> On Aug 23, 2006, at 9:46 AM, Martin Baxter wrote:
>
>> Despite this function's name (and despite what it says in the
>> dictionary), this built-in function converts from ansi (a.k.a.
>> Windows-1252) to Mac roman.
>
> Microsoft uses so-called ANSI to refer to any of many code pages, not
> just Windows-1252.  (Microsoft's use of ANSI is fraudulent and should be
> avoided, thus the use of Windows-1252 is appropriate here.)

I sort of recall hearing that before Dar, but my memory has accumulated
an impressive number of twisty pathways now, and often rewires itself
without permission. Glad you're there to stop things drifting too far.

> Codes 80-9F are not used in ISO-8859-1, but most are used in
> Windows-1252.  The isoToMac() function does indeed translate most of
> these suitably for Windows-1252, but notably does not translate the Euro
> (80), mentioned in BZ 3681.
>
> Thanks for mentioning that the function works on Windows-1252, Martin.
> I had done a quick check at one time and must have goofed, because I
> came away thinking otherwise.
>
> Dar Scott

I did a thorough check, some time ago, and was surprised at the results.

That's true about euro. IsoToMac translates 80 to F0, which is apple
logo, but should translate to DB. I assume the function was written
before MacRoman's DB was re-assigned to euro. It used to be the generic
currency symbol in Mac Roman. As you probably know, MacToIso translates
DB to A4, which is ¤ in Windows.

(BTW I don't really think in Hex. I cheat. I have a calculator that
converts ;-))

Martin