Menu madness

Dave Cragg dcragg at lacscentre.co.uk
Wed Aug 16 18:42:52 EDT 2006

On 16 Aug 2006, at 22:45, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> Robert Sneidar wrote:
>
>> Apparently since Menus are nothing more than a group of buttons
>> in  Revolution that are hidden, Revolution "compensates" for this
>> by  changing the height of the card. I personally think this is a
>> bug.
>
> Actually it's a feature, and a very useful one.
>
> The biggest challenge with menus comes from Rev being multi-
> platform. On Mac the menu bar is separate from the window at the
> top of the monitor, and on all other OSes it's bound to the top of
> the window.

Except... :-)

On Macs, a menubar is pretty much a requirement. But on Windows, and
Linux too I guess, they are not always needed, and many apps don't
have one. (I'm looking at Norton Anti-Virus right now.) And in the
multi-media, internet world, they can seem out of place. (All that
File, Edit stuff is so 80's. :-))

In these situations, we need a menubar for the Mac but not on other
platforms. And so we want the window to remain the same size on both
platforms. But it's not that obvious how to achieve this. The only
way I've found that works is to "remove" the menubar group from the
card. The menubar will still display on a Mac, but no resizing takes
palce, and no menubar appears on Windows. But it's not that obvious.
A "Menubar on Mac only" option would be useful, I think.

Cheers
Dave