Revolution 2.7.3 released, support for U3

Bob Warren bobwarren at howsoft.com
Tue Aug 15 13:22:23 EDT 2006

On 12/8/06 16:45, "Richard Gaskin" <ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:

 >> And as Rev developers, it's always been a trivial matter for us to
 >> deliver fully self-contained apps which run from removable media
without needing to modify the host computer.  While Rev's work in the
 >> U3-specific additions are helpful, you can also deliver portable
apps on >> ANY removable drive, U3 or not.

Kevin Miller wrote:

Of course, the coolest thing about U3 is that it is backed by the major
storage vendors - Kingston, Memorex, Sandisk and many others.  That means
that tens of millions of these devices will ship each year, making this type
of deployment a new potential revenue opportunity for developers.

---------------------------
For complete portability, you can even put the whole OS on the removable
medium too, including pendrives, etc. Puppy Linux (only the name is
laughable) can be booted from pendrive or from CD-rom, saving your
session to this medium on exit. The only fly in the ointment at this
moment (provoking Dan again) is that some quite modern BIOS don't enable
you to boot from a pendrive. I don't know the reason for this, but I
imagine it is being corrected as I speak. Since it is small (about 70
MB) you might imagine that Puppy is a severely limited distro, since it
operates entirely in memory. Not true! It does everything that my Ubuntu
does, and more, without touching a sausage on the HD. And of course, the
Rev IDE and standalones work perfectly. I haven't tried booting a U3
drive with Puppy on it, but if it works half as well as it does with CD
booting/reading/recording, it would be fantastic.

Regards to all,
Bob