Why do group ID's change when cloning a stack

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Aug 11 14:47:39 EDT 2006

Robert Sneidar wrote:

> Since the days of Hypercard, I have known that using ID's to
> reference objects was sketchy at best. As a matter of good
> programming practice, you should keep track of all your variables and
> object names so there is no inadvertent duplication to bite you in
> the butt later. If nothing else, use variable and object names that
> specifically describe the actual object. That was, as we learned at
> Revconwest 2006, "The code practically comments itself".
>
> Naming objects are definitely the way to go. (IMHO)

One of the many great things in Rev that HyperCard never dreamed of was
having a separation of an object's name from its displayed label.

This has totally changed my style of programming, allowing me to use
names as mnemonic IDs while still have the label property for display to
the user.  And anytime I need to change the displayed label it never
changes the object's name, so my scripts never need to be revised even
with clients who change button labels a lot. :)

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal