Studio License Renewal Cost

Lynn Fredricks lynn at paradigmasoft.com
Fri Aug 4 14:22:27 EDT 2006

> > I've already expressed my dislike of the pricing structure.
>  But expressing it here on the mailing list does nothing but
> cause unwanted and unneeded dissension among everyone on the
> list and in the end, won't change Runtime's pricing structure anyway.
>
> Where else would be a good place to discuss this issue then?
>  The list is a public forum for the discussion of Revolution,
> so it seems like a good place to me, whether or not it may
> upset some people out there.

In selling software, pricing is one of the most difficult and facinating
topics and it happens to be one of my favorites. If it interests you, I
recommend Nagle's Strategies and Tactics of Pricing.

The nearest competitor in terms of price/value is probably REALbasic,
however 12 months of upgrades of REALbasic Professional Edition is $250, not
$199. Revolution Studio creates applications for multiple platforms so its
nearest analog to REALbasic is Pro, not Standard. REAL doesn't have any
equivalent to getting all IDEs and they don't have an equivalent to
Revolution Media. Revolution though, isnt an exact competitor to REALbasic -
except in the "end result".

Revolution pricing doesn't make professional developers blink but I can
understand how it would for a hobbyist, especially if you have Studio. If
you can put up with the limitations then Revolution Media really fits the
bill.

On the other hand - if you know Revolution well and feel comfortable giving
presentations, why not become a Revolution Community Partner? Revolution
Community Partners work closely with Runtime to help promote Revolution in
user groups, shows and the like. We have a compensation model that is
discussed on the forums
(http://forums.runrev.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=343).

Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks