OT: Rev's spread to the "dark continents"

Bob Warren bobwarren at howsoft.com
Sat Apr 22 00:39:37 EDT 2006

Francis Nugent Dixon wrote:

I remember arriving in Brazil to do a 2 week course, with my
course supports, and (because I have had experience with
African countries) carrying 20 note pads, 20 rubbers - sorry
erasers !, 20 pens, etc. for my students, not forgetting the board
markers in many colours.
.
.
!! BUSINESS LOGIC DON'T COUNT !!

This topic is not technical, but it is certainly highly relevant to the
intended spread of Rev throughout the world (which I hope is true,
please correct me if it is not). I think it might help Rev decide when,
where and how to spread its tentacles (not meant as a negative metaphor)
within the (near?) future.

I have time to expand a little about more general topics because I don't
want to program in Windows any more and I am waiting for a hopefully
stable 2.7. version of Rev for Linux before I continue my programming. I
am also a semi-retired "chato" with a little time to breathe after many
busy years.

Even in the light of my own first-hand experience of how "images" and
reality can be completely different, I still thought of Africa until
recently as a dark, unstable, primitive continent. And then Ubuntu Linux
popped up from South Africa! According to my evaluation it is perhaps
the best Linux distro ever produced. The point is, that countries (or
any reality for that matter) can have many faces, and often a single
"image" can be entirely wrong, leading to unjust treatment and perhaps
inappropriate business/marketing decisions.

One other aspect arising from Francis's regrettable experience upon
arriving at the Brazilian customs is that the customs officer probably
found the implication of the multiple pens and rubbers to be insulting:
"How dare you have an image of Brazil like that!"

Of course, in my book Francis can certainly be forgiven, because my own
attitute towards Brazil before arriving here (at the end of 73 in Rio de
Janeiro) was not essentially different. I remember that I used to
wonder, "Have they ever seen a computer before?", "Do they really know
how to drive cars the same as we do?", etc. As a computer
teacher/technician, I thought I was the cat's whiskers. Boy, was I in
for a shock! The state of the computer art was FAR more advanced in Rio
de Janeiro than anything I had ever met in London! Nor has that
situation apparently changed very much. Brazilian computer bods
travelling to Europe come back and confirm this. So for example, if you
want to sell software to the Brazilian population, if it is not of the
highest standard they won't buy it, simply because they really do know
the difference between what is good and what is shoddy.

One other little loose end I would like to quickly clear up - since it
involves political considerations, not appropriate for discussion here -
is regarding Francis's affirmation !! BUSINESS LOGIC DON'T COUNT !!
I think it does, but what we were then discussing was a much more global
business logic rather than the business logic of an individual company
(Apple).

[I do hope that the anti-UR-List-bloaters will give me a little leeway:
it is Saturday, after all!]

Regards to all,
Bob Warren