Making custom skins for your app

Thomas McGrath III 3mcgrath at adelphia.net
Fri Apr 21 22:42:18 EDT 2006

Josh,
I do use Fireworks and Flash and Illustrator and Photoshop and have
been using some of them for over seventeen years.  I make heavy use
of key shortcuts and features in all of them and get a lot of power
out of each.

I would say that for web based buttons that Fireworks is what I would
use but for GUI design there is no way I would use either Fireworks
or Illustrator but instead would be doing some amazing things in
Photoshop.

You see, I am not putting Fireworks down and do agree that it has
it's place especially for web based things but to say that Photoshop
is only great for photo retouching then you miss out on all of the
powerful features and things that Photoshop can do and do better than
most software.

To use your analogy using Fireworks is like using a vice grip but as
a vice grip and using Photoshop is like using a whole set of tools
and having all four applications is like having a great big tool box
in my opinion.

Thanks

Tom