databases [was: Re: Ruby Active Record]

Russ McBride russmcb at tsw.berkeley.edu
Thu Apr 20 14:42:02 EDT 2006

Yeah, it seems crazy these days to actually have to *pay* for a
database.  But there are reasons why people still make decisions that
allow Larry Ellison to by another small island in the Caribbean (and
why people would pay $$ for FrontBase).  We use it as an excellent
fit for our WebObjects applications.  And in the past MySQL has been
quite problematic for any kind of applications that require a lot of
updating rather than lots of simple reads (as you get in web apps).
FrontBase is also completely SQL92 compliant which is rare.

Anyway, I don't want to get into the usual database wars here, nor is
it the place.  I've been happy with FrontBase, PostgreSQL, MySQL, and
others.  It was, though, quite nice to see a fairly small db vendor
provide runrev support.

Cheers,

Russ McBride
Programmer/Analyst