[OT] Cringely on BootCamp's future

Bob Warren bobwarren at howsoft.com
Thu Apr 20 14:11:03 EDT 2006

Stephen Barncard wrote:

 >Hell, I don't want to start a platform war on this list  - the thing
is that Rev brings us together - and platform wars are boring and
stupid.

-------------
Yes, we're all a bit up tight. But I wouldn't call a mildly
argumentative discussion "war", at least not yet! The great thing about
the difficult art of democracy is that we become united through our
differences.

Though I have no experience of Macs, if I lived in a first-world
country, it would be one of the first things I'd buy, hoping that the
higher price would bring me advantages in terms of quality and
stability. But I don't live in a first world country. Even a much
cheaper PC represents a year's salary to the majority of the population.
Macs ARE used, but only usually by companies etc. who have the need and
the means to make the investment. Until my American neighbour brought
back a Mac from the States, I had never even SEEN a Mac!

Stephen Barncard wrote:

 >As far as price of Macs in Brazil; I'm sure that Brazil imposes
severe tariffs placed on computers from the USA, and I think that the
Brazil PC 'manufacturers' would get quite an advantage - even though
made from parts from 'over there'.

-----------
I am not disputing what you are saying, because I really don't know. But
what I would like to know is why PCs imported from the United States
(among other places) do not seem to suffer the same tariffs. (Or is that
wrong too?) Of course, if you have good reason for affirming that Brazil
imposes severe tariffs placed on computers from the USA, then I would be
very interested in knowing what that reason is.

The only point I am interested in making is that as far as I see it,
PC+Linux is the only viable future solution for ordinary users in a
country like Brazil, and I fully intend to help them achieve it. And the
more support I get for this movement in terms of reliable programming
under the Linux OS, the better I like it.

Regards,
Bob Warren