[OT] Cringely on BootCamp's future

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Tue Apr 18 21:26:26 EDT 2006

Dan,

Vista's not even out and who knows if it ever will be? And even then,
who knows what the security issues will be... certainly not our friend
Cringely. For me to pay a 33% premium now on _THAT BET_, a computer
which doesn't even have a Windows key (yes, I do use the Windows key a
bunch), seems like less a fly more like a full-size Steve Jobs in my
ointment..I mean my wallet.

Of course, for you Mac guys, this makes perfect sense. Mac users always
have been willing to pay a premium-- I know, I used to be one of them!
And in one sense you are really getting 2 computers in one, if you need
them both. I don't.

Now, I might think different regarding a Core Duo Mac mini, as you can
grab a decent 1GB version for $700 (though that's only a 60Gb drive--
gee wiz Apple, you want to charge me another 100 clams to upgrade to
100Gb drive-- most expensive GB's on the planet but, hey, at least Jesse
James wore a mask!)

best, Chipp