Multicard Stack, Standalone Speed, and screenNoPixmaps property

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Tue Apr 11 13:26:50 EDT 2006

Recently, Levi Kendall wrote:

> I have a somewhat complicated speed issue I've been trying to resolve in a
> standalone application (this problem is not observed in IDE / stack mode).
> I have a multi-card stack which begins with what could be considered a
> "launch window" that gives the user the option to go to various other parts
> of the application.  When the user clicks on the desired icon, the stack
> goes to a different card depending on what they clicked.  Now my issue is
> the FIRST time the user ever goes to another card, there is a significant
> delay (up to 7+ seconds on slower P3 machines).  Also the memory useage goes
> from about 11MB to 22MB the first time another section in the app is
> accessed.

7 seconds is a pretty long time just to access a card.  Are you using any
transitions (visual effects) by chance?  What is present on the secondary
cards -- it sounds like maybe some large images.  Is this the case?  Also,
what about initialization scripts: do you have any going on in any of your
secondary cards?

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director