bugs

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Tue Apr 11 12:28:46 EDT 2006

Hi Dave,

> what's the bug? The fact that it loops endlessly or the fact that the
> COA was non existent?

Well my buddy Bernie would say the bug is a user error for installing
the A/R module before installing G/L and setting up the COA.  Actually
it appears in the setup screen for any module that includes default G/L
accounts:

If the G/L interface is checked, A/R account fields become required
fields, and as the field closes the system verifies the contents in the
COA.  Not finding the account, Flexware takes the user back to the
field.  The only way to escape the loop without killing the computer or
Flexware A/R is to go to another workstation and set up a COA.

Flexware modules were bundled individually, with a separate manual & CD
for each.  I don't recall there being anything in the documentation
advising sys admins to install G/L first if it was among the modules
purchased.  And if there was, it didn't stop many users from having
their first experience with Flexware--before it was even set up to do
useful work--include finding a way out of an endless loop.

So Bernie could truthfully claim (on this point) "Flexware is bug-free
if people use it correctly."  But in the real world, a significant
number of users fell victim to this and similar "user" errors.

I believe the developer's job goes beyond delivering an application
that works for her.  One has the obligation to provide the user a
graceful escape mechanism when the user does something he wasn't
supposed to do.

In this case, every Flexware setup screen that included default G/L
accounts should, at the very least, disable the "G/L Installed" check
box if the COA is not present.  Ideally, it would also display a dialog
box explaining the box was disabled because the COA was not set up.
Such a simple modification would have left first-time users with a much
better feeling about Flexware then they got when told "That's your
fault for not installing G/L first."

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company