From negative to positive (was End all Negative Threads Now)

Marielle Lange mlange at lexicall.org
Mon Apr 10 09:34:29 EDT 2006

jeffrey reynolds <jeff at siphonophore.com>:
> its just not very professional and i think may strike some the
> wrong way (example: hey kids) and just feed or start the fires you
> are trying to avoid/stop. you as a moderator and rev representative
> need to be very calm, clear and level headed in your comments.
> while the list is generally fun and folks jibe a lot (and that is
> great) the sad fact is a moderator and company rep just cant do
> that IMHO.

Thanks for this, Jeffrey (and others), this gave me a good laugh. I
savoured the irony that I am the one to benefit from what I just
denounced.  At the same time Lynn got attacked for doing what I had
asked runrev to do, step in and be the target for the tomatoes that
were flying around. You will notice there was an important change in
scenario. The threat of banning was used to get us think twice before
posting... nobody got outcasted.

Thanks for your intervention, Lynn. I hope the tomatoes didn't ruin
your suit.

Jim Ault <JimAultWins at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I would imagine they are quite cathartic.  After all, where else
> can you
> vent your spleen about Revolution?

Thanks Jim... Yeah, I needed to get a few things out. I started
boiling myself. I needed either the heat to be reduced a bit or to
open up the lid. I don't take the best decisions when I am in that
position. Sorry about that. I by far prefer to come back to
"diverting" strategies that encourage positive ways to react rather
than the denouncing ones I have adopted lately. I am fully aware that
"dignitaries" (only used to avoid names) have the same difficulties
handling the situation as me.

Hopefully, this will calm down soon. Have you tried revmedia? No
evident glitches. Some very nice work in icon design and UI layout (I
like the little sparkle on the red band around the R!). We even have
forums now.

On the distribution of user participation I gave... well, er, hum
Nothing so abnormal about it. That's standard Zipf distribution:
http://www.useit.com/alertbox/zipf.html

> A simple description of data that follow a Zipf distribution is
> that they have
> a few elements that score very high (the left tail in the diagrams)
> a medium number of elements with middle-of-the-road scores (the
> middle part of the diagram)
> a huge number of elements that score very low (the right tail in
> the diagram)

Glad it gave you a chance to see you made it in the top ten Chipp ;-D.

I will gladly pay a pint to Richard if we happen to meet. Do you
happen to have any favourite Belgian beer, Richard? Chances are that
if things continue that way, we will just get a good laugh on how we
once made fools of ourselves (at least on my part).

Marielle

--------
Marielle Lange (PhD),  Psycholinguist

Alternative emails: mlange at blueyonder.co.uk,