Runtime Revolution Ships Revolution Media

Dan Shafer revolutionary.dan at gmail.com
Sun Apr 9 20:39:17 EDT 2006

You know, I reacted a bit negatively at first as well. Overnight, I began to
think about it a bit more (I clearly need to get out more.)

Visual Basic is the name of the IDE and the language. Same with RealBASIC.

Then there's Borland's Delphi, which is a development environment for Object
Pascal. Hmmm. As I thought about that exception (and others that then popped
into memory), I think I get this differentiation. Giving the language and
its IDE the same name is a strong way of branding the underlyng
product/technology. When you layer something on top of a language that's
already in popular use, you generally add some value and then you need to
brand, not the underlying language (e.g., Pascal) but your enhancements to
it. So you name it something else (e.g., Delphi).

Now it makes better sense to me. Not that it had to. But I'm glad it does.