bugs

David Vaughan dvk at dvkconsult.com.au
Sun Apr 9 20:21:47 EDT 2006

On 10/04/2006, at 2:37, Geoff Canyon wrote:

> The question is this: what do you think is the upper limit for
> _completely_ bug-free code?

Was your code bug-free the first time you wrote it, no typographic
errors or any other changes? Do not answer that because it is only a
lead-in to the next comment, that the upper limit is for code which
can be made bug free with reasonable economic effort, and that is in
my view controlled by the number of people involved.

Your script worked well because you (I presume) conceived the
requirement, the design and the implementation and it was self-
documenting in that the descriptive text carries import to you which
it may not for other people. I take it for the moment that you are
also the user.

To the extent that you introduce new actors at any one of those five
roles, you will increase the probability of bugs both arising and
persisting.

I have some small to complex stacks which to the best of my knowledge
are bug free, but no-one else uses them, they are substantially
undocumented, and the design and usage pattern are perfectly matched,
both being through me. I have little doubt that use by other people
might expose real bugs and absolutely no doubt whatsoever that those
other users would raise as bugs points which I considered to be
"obvious" design choices or usages.

I have also a fairly complex stack with at least one obvious bug but
I know about it and work around it because that costs me less effort,
even on a regular basis, than investing in fixing that stack compared
with my other development priorities which are themselves way below
my other life priorities (reiterating for those who have not read it
before that I do not develop software to order nor for product).
Eventually, it will irritate me enough and I will have the spare time
so I will fix it.

The last part was a bit of a digression. The main answer is that bugs
arise less from code size than from the count of actors in the five
steps from concept to use. A sufficiently complex project conceived,
developed and used by a single person will merely not be finished
while the development bugs are being ironed out. :-)

cheers
David